MystoriouS
Is there a poem that do not have rhyming words? (see Edits)Can someone answer for me this question please? I seem to recall in my secondary school that "Modern Poems" (if it's not a figment of my imagination) don't really have rhyming words.Or is it poetry? Poems and poetry got differences ah?Help! I really dunno!Anyway, Nigel wrote a short story (I decline to use the word compo as he did because it would sound less mature... only children write compo. As far as I'm concerned, he wrote a short story. So there) about uhhh... a pair of friends. I don't have the exact link to that specific post but if you are early enough it'll be on the top of his posts. In any case, the title is A Dark Secret.To Nigel: Eh, say already is "My Masterpieces" right? How can I add Your work? Hahaha! Anyway izzit real? I still dunno.Well, to his short story, I can only say "Good Effort." The Singaporean Context can be understood easily by readers, but unfortunately there is no climax and the story sort of ended too abruptly when the exciting part was just about to start. It's like a smooth expressway ride although we (or at least I) would like to see more of roller-coaster type of story.(Edit: This poem below is a continuation/reply to /\/igel's short story, sorry I neglected to mention it before and it just kinda struck me that the meaning of the poem might be lost on you guys who did not read his story. Sorry for the backtracking.)Well then, I say so much about his work, now perhaps it's time for him to say me back liaoz hahaha. Anyone else who would like to comment constructively please do! Here goes...The Last Stick
Jolted awake from my sleep drenched in
Cold sweat.
Breathing hard as if the
Dreams were real;
Like a madman I ran,
Fleeing the damn cops.
But no matter which alleyway I turned into,
Which ditch I jumped in, they were always
Behind me,
Relentless in their chase.
Every time I turned back, I could see the image of
Your face,
Hovering above the overbearing shadows of
The cops.
Never letting up, never letting go.
Why? Why have You
Betrayed me?
Aren’t You my buddy?
Or is it Your wish to see me in this state I’m in now?
Shutting my eyes tight,
I kept running with
Absolutely no idea where this dream will lead me to.
A lunge forward,
A sharp pain on my head later,
Everything was over.
The chase was over.
The dream was over.
The dark room and mind needed
No light to intrude.
Indeed, the only light that dared
Creep into this room,
Is the gentle, yet adamant moonlight.
As I clutched my head from the
Dull pain,
I reached the other hand out gingerly,
Trembling hand feeling its way on the cabinet.
Finding the only solace I have now;
The small box of calm, relief and peace.
Tenderly flipping open the cover,
There is but
One stick left.
The last stick of cigarette in this box.
Taking it out and dropping the
Box off the side of my bed,
I appraised the Last Stick,
Rolling it to and fro with my fingers.
I understand it is for
My own good.
I understand it is the
Wrong path to walk.
But how could u expect
Me to forgive
You?
The one who
Betrayed me and the one who is also
My Best Friend.
But I can now,
Like I’m lighting this
Last Stick from an
Old box,
The old hatreds and grudges are also
Dissipating into the endless night;
Every puff I take turns the cigarette into
Empty wisps of smoke.
Dear Friend, as much as I
Hated You before,
I would really want to tell You now, for
Saving me, saving my life,
Thank you.
-- JakeOkay, that must have looked weird and odd. But I dunno, maybe it's because of my vast vocabulary and my insistance on flair, that I have problems trying to make words rhyme. After a good 30 mins stuck in the first stanza trying to find a rhyming word for "sweat" that fits into the poem, I gave up and started on this "Modern Poetry."I guess a story is easier for me to write huh? It took me less than 3 hours to rip off the 1st 3000 words for "Sneeze" compared to an hour for these measly 350 words for "The Last Stick." This piece would probably never earn its way onto my sidebar unless I get overwhelming responses for it haha.Anyway I hope my blog still gets surfed often. I know I've not been really posting consistantly but I dun think you ppl would want to know about my slacking at home too right? I blog only about stuffs worth blogging and not things like how many potato chips have I eating today.To Readers: Thank You All!!!Signing off,YangmingP.S. Almost 600 readers already!! So happy... =D